Regular school attendance is essential if children are to achieve their full potential. Brookburn believes that regular school attendance is the key to enabling children to maximise the educational opportunities available to them and become emotionally resilient, confident and competent adults who are able to realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to their community. Attendance is categorised in the following way:
GREEN pupils with attendance between 97% and 100%
AMBER pupils with attendance between 90.1% and 96.9%
RED pupils with attendance below 90% and below
Pupils who have attendance below 90% are considered to be persistently absent from school. Every child’s target for attendance is 97%.
At Brookburn, good punctuality is considered an important value to have and a useful habit to develop in preparation for future life and work. Arriving at school on time sets a pupil up for the day and ensures children reach their full potential and benefit from learning opportunities provided.
If children arrive after 9.05am, they will receive a late mark on the register (L). If a child arrives after 9.25am, they will receive an unauthorised absence mark on the register (U).
PLEASE NOTE THAT:
- School holidays in term time, in line with government ruling, will not be authorised.
- It is important that parents/carers telephone the school office EACH DAY if their child is going to be absent informing us of a reason.
- Parents/Carers will be contacted directly if attendance or punctuality are an area of concern.
- Parents will need to provide valid reasons for an absence to be authorised. Birthdays, buying new shoes and haircuts will not be accepted as valid reasons for absence.
- Please ensure that non-urgent appointments (eg. routine dental/medical appointments) are made outside of school hours. If you do have to take your child out of school for an appointment, we ask that you arrange this at the beginning or end of the day.